Wilderness therapy expedites recovery from substance abuse
The tonic of wilderness is essential to fight away any confusion, diseases or stress, as it holds answers and solutions for most of the problems. As a result, many medical practitioners are nowadays more inclined upon making experiential therapies an integral part of recovery treatment. Of the many alternative therapies, wilderness therapy, which as the name suggests is conducted in the lap of nature, has gained immense popularity in the medical field, particularly substance abuse treatment.
Being conducted in an open space, close to the bounties of nature and away from any external influence, a person gets an opportunity to reflect upon the reasons that led to substance abuse. Once a person has figured out the reasons, his or her path toward detox can be more impactful due to the everlasting effects of the therapy.
Specially designed for people between 18 and 28 years of age, wilderness therapy includes character-building and challenging activities that are designed according to the needs of each person. People, who take up wilderness therapy, spend their days enjoying the delights of nature and learning skills to become self-reliant. These characteristics are essential for overcoming the challenging withdrawal symptoms witnessed during the recovery phase.
Besides undergoing evidence-based activities, people are in constant care of qualified therapists and medical practitioners. The scope for one-to-one sessions and continuous interaction with team members and the leader makes this therapy unique.
Advantages of using wilderness therapy
- Qualified staff: The staff members in any wilderness therapy program would be certified treatment professionals and therapists. They would generally have a master’s degree and the state-level accreditation in substance abuse treatment.
- Involvement of family: The family plays an important role in any recovery program. Besides clearing all the concerns at length before the therapy, the family members are kept informed about every step during the therapy, including progressive behavioral changes witnessed in the participant. Even the participants are encouraged to talk to their families, which is important for staying motivated during the struggling phase of recovery.
- Unavailability of substance: The location for wilderness therapy is carefully selected to ensure that the participants are not exposed to any harmful substances that can be abused. Segregation from any kind of temptation encourages the participants to get in touch with their inner selves and reflect upon their behavior. The absence of substances also affects the way they behave by offering a place where they can express themselves coherently and independently.
- Total unplugging: While undergoing a wilderness program, the participants are discouraged from using gadgets and encouraged to enjoy the proximity of nature. This kind of unplugging helps in teaching the participants essential life skills, such as communication of feelings, relating to others, decision-making, and task setting and achieving, and behavioral management skills, such as anger management, self-management, self-reliance, etc.
- Learn to rely on others: During the wilderness therapy, each participant is assigned a “friend” as partners to attempt the tasks together and help each other. This assists a person in learning the ways to rely on others and unburden himself or herself by sharing his or her darkest problems, such as the habit of substance abuse.
- Aftercare: All wilderness programs offer aftercare that is essential for the success of any type of therapy. The availability of facilities, such as support groups, re-excursions, get-togethers with partners and continuous care, even after the completion of the therapy helps prevent a relapse.
Rejoice life by discovering nature
The first step of any recovery plan is detox to get rid of the toxins stored in the body due to the prolonged substance abuse. However, to endure the painful withdrawal symptoms and cravings for the substance witnessed during the detox phase, it is essential to ensure long-lasting changes in one’s behavior.
If you or a loved one is suffering from an addiction to any form of addictive substance, then contact the Colorado Detox Helpline to get access to the best detox programs. You may call at our 24/7 helpline number 866-730-5807 or chat online to find the best detox centers in Colorado.